Love is a choice, Not a feeling Matt: 22:37-40.
“Jesus said into him, thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart and with all thy soul and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like into It, thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. In these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets”.
The word love has come to mean different things to different people. To some, it means lust, to some meal ticket, yet some others sex, deceit, and a lot more. This is why it has become a source of pain, heartbreak, disappointments, and anguish.
But love is not all of that. Love is action, it is what you do, not what you feel. John 3: 16 tells us that ” God so love the world that He gave His only begotten son, that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life”.
Love is deep it is the heart of existence. If people understand the concept of love, the world would be fun, devoid of pain. If we operate in love at the different levels 80% of the world’s pain will disappear.
What are the types of Love?.
1) Agape love; this is the God of Love, unconditional, pure, without motive.
2) Filial love; this is relational love. The blood real relationship love. That is; blood brotherly, blood sisterly, fatherly, or motherly love.
3) Eros love; this is sexual love. Eros, from where the word erotic is derived, is the love between a husband and wife. By the laws of God, this kind of love is forbidden outside marriage. While agape love is the most important of all, Eros love is the heaviest of the three. Because it is a combination of the three. For us to practice marital love successfully, we have to love that person the way God loves us, love him/her the way we love our brother or sister, then add romance and sex to it.
This is not what you leave to feel. Feelings are emotions, they come and go. They are conditional. Love is intentional, purposeful, deliberate!. It is a choice, a decision to remain consistent no matter how you feel. When the don’t feel good or right about your spouse, you still have to treat him/ her right. Make up your mind from the very beginning that, this is here to stay for life. It must be handled right.
There should be;
- A) a common desire for partnership. Gen.2:18-25
- B) a common appreciation. Recognize and accept/ differences. Never forget that you are joint heirs of the kingdom. Therefore equal partners. The bone of your bone, flesh of your flesh.
- C) a common commitment, leave your father and mother, and cleave to your spouse. Gen. 2: 24. The two of you are a team. You win together and lose together.
- D) a common trust.; the ability to be naked (open) and vulnerable without being afraid or ashamed. That is intimacy ( into-me- see).
- E) a common conviction; there should be an anchor on which to hang the relationship. Nothing is good enough to hang this relationship or our lives as a whole except Jesus Christ. All other ground is sinking sand. Unless you know Jesus Christ in truth and in spirit, His word will make little meaning to you. If the word of God does not make meaning to you, anything you hold could crumble anytime.
Eccl. 4:9-12 says ” two are better than; because they have a good reward for their labour”
For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow………… a threefold cord is not quickly broken”. A threefold cord refers to God, husband, and wife…
I hope you have been blessed. Let me know. Send me a mail. Ask any questions. We are here to help. God bless you.